Ancient granite monuments and marble Greek statues have survived to our time in pristine form, which speaks of the longevity of rocks. Now used in construction and in the decoration of interiors and landscapes. Although the two stones have different properties and origins, people often confuse them.
Comparison of characteristics and properties
Granite and marble are used for different purposes. Based on this, the choice is made in favor of one or the other material.
- For the design of streets, landscape, facade cladding outside need to choose a durable material that can withstand temperature fluctuations, moisture, mechanical damage. These are the technical characteristics of granite. Plus it is resistant to dirt, wear-resistant. This is important when choosing a coating for floors and stairs in crowded places with heavy traffic.
- Marble is also weakly resistant to street conditions, can not stand temperature changes, quickly worn by the sands and salts brought to the shoes of passers-by. Therefore, this rock is usually used for interior decoration of the house. Popular marble coffee tables and sculptures. There are some especially durable varieties.
But when choosing a tabletop in the kitchen, this option is not suitable, because it is quickly damaged by the impact of detergents and some products. Therefore, you should give preference to granite countertops.
According to the senses, marble is more slippery than granite. This should be taken into account when laying floors in the house.
The color of the materials also differs in appearance. Marble has light calm shades, while granite is darker (pink, green, gray, black).
There is an artificial granite. It is made of marble chips with the addition of gel coat and hardener. Determine what is better, artificial, natural granite or marble can be on some features. Artificial stone has more color options, no radioactive background (when compared to granite), it does not deteriorate from chemicals (compared to marble) and has a lower price.
How to distinguish granite from marble visually
Both stones look noble and emphasize the status of the environment if they are used to decorate the interior.
The difference between granite and marble can be seen visually:
- A well-polished marble surface has a mirror-like sheen, while granite is not as expressive.
- Granite products have much greater hardness and durability.
- Marble pattern is more uniform, wavy, and granite – grainy.
- Marble products are not resistant, as opposed to granite products.
What is tougher of minerals
If you compare what is harder – granite or marble, the first option wins. But the softness of the latter rock facilitates its processing (polishing, grinding).
Interesting video on the strength of stones:
Radioactivity of stones
It is believed that marble has no isotopes, so it is safe in terms of radioactivity. Granite, on the other hand, contains some isotopes. For full confidence in the radioactive safety, you can use a device – radiometer.
What is the difference between granite and marble in the decor
Granite is a natural mineral that has a volcanic nature. It is the hardest rock on Earth. It is easy to cut: perfect angles, clean lines. But it is difficult to create three-dimensional reliefs, while the elaboration of small details is almost impossible.
Marble is a sedimentary rock with a crystalline structure. Marble is easier to work with, as it does not crack. Polishing creates a mirror-like shine. Typical shades of light (white, milky), less often – yellow, pink, blue, green, gray, black. Foreign impurities create a memorable pattern in the form of gray streaks.
Granite, on the other hand, has a grainy pattern and darker, more saturated shades ranging from pink to green, and sometimes black.
In terms of decorative characteristics, softer, more elegant are marble products, and more austere, monumental – granite.
Spheres of application of two popular materials
Marble is used for:
- covering the floor in bathrooms, saunas, baths;
- finishing staircases in houses;
- production of interior elements, monuments, statues;
- as a building facing material.
Granite is used for:
- finishing city bridges, street staircases;
- facade cladding;
- window sills;
- manufacture of bar counters, table tops.
What is more expensive marble or granite
The cost of both types is about the same, but marble is a little higher. It depends on:
- the level of demand for the material;
- the degree of value for decorative purposes;
- the country that supplies the material.
Italian marble is expensive, but there are also rare varieties of granite blue shade, which are ahead of its value. Inexpensive and thus qualitative material is made by India and China.
What is better than granite or marble
Determine for yourself what is better, you can be based on the destination. If long life, durability is expected, preference should be given to granite products. They will last 4-5 times longer than marble, preserving the appearance, since they almost do not succumb to temperature and chemical influences.
For comparison, granite products serve in the street about six hundred years, and marble about a hundred and fifty.
If you want to create a work of art – a statue, a monument, decorative elements, it is better to pay attention to the second material. It can be given any shape, create a three-dimensional drawing, accentuate small details.
What is better to choose for the monument
Granite is more durable, more resistant to impacts. But marble is more malleable, easier to handle, more aesthetically pleasing in appearance, and because of the ease of processing it can be used to make beautiful sculptures.
But every 3-5 years the monument should be covered with a special protective agent to preserve the visual characteristics.
To summarize, we can say that granite is more durable, serves longer. But marble is nicer, easier to process, which allows you to make products with fine details.